The leaves have sharp saw-teeth, are rough on top, and furry underneath. The ¼-inch edible fruit are dark purple and hang on stalks over an inch long.
Five specimens can be seen on Pine Hill Road at the Bowdoin Street end and compared to C. occidentalis up the street. Six specimens are behind Kimball Hall. A large specimen planted in 1890 was near the west corner at Quarry Road and Campus Drive West, the location of the gardener’s shed at the time the Inner Quad was being leveled and planted. It may be the same tree that now finds itself near an automatic gate in the parking lot west of the intersection.
About this Entry: The main text of this entry is from the book Trees of Stanford and Environs, by Ronald Bracewell, published 2005.