Laburnum anagyroides ‘Pendula’ · golden-chain · Eastern and Central Europe
Laburnum × wateri ‘Vossii’ · golden chain tree · Europe
Laburnum ‘Pendula’ (referring to the drooping branchlets) was planted at the back of Tresidder Union in Fall 2005. It is in a small planting circle, near wood bollards, not far from the wood picnic tables. Another specimen was planted at Lake House.
Laburnum ‘Vossii’ was also planted in Fall 2005, also in a planting circle, just outside the back patio of Tresidder in the paved path to the back entrance of the Faculty Club. Another replaced a mayten tree in an island off Lasuen Mall just north of the fountain in front of the Quad entrance to Green Library (replaced by Michelia doltsopa in Spring, 2013). The memorial stone at its base reads “In memory of James Baillieu 1948–1972. We sought peace, may others find it here.” ‘Vossii’ is a hybrid of L. anagyroides and L. alpinum. All trees wore their showy yellow bloom beginning June 1, 2006. When not in bloom, look for the distinctive alternate leaves of three leaflets.
About this Entry: John Rawlings authored the main text of this entry ca. 2005 and updated it ca. 2013.