Eucalyptus pulchella (syn. E. linearis)
White peppermint is a distinguished ornamental with a smooth lightcolored trunk and branches, growing to about 40 feet. Its lanceolate leaves are only about ¼ inch wide and around 4 inches long, and distinctly more delicate than the leaves of E. nicholii, the willow-leaved peppermint. The leaves of both, when crushed, have the scent of piperitone (a liquid unsaturated cyclic ketone C10H16O of camphoraceous odor found in various essential oils and used chiefly in making menthol and thymol).
The small flower buds, which come in clusters of 10 or so, have a hemispherical cap that gives them a stubby club shape. The seed capsules are 3/16 inch across, have a flat rim, and typically four depressed openings inside.
There are two large specimens viewable on the west side of Raimundo Way, between N. Tolman Drive and Peter Coutts Road. Only one remains of the three at the southeast corner of 563 Salvatierra Walk (its companions may have been removed during the clearing of the nearby area in 2006 for construction of the Munger Graduate Residences). Another handsome specimen is nearby, at the southeast corner of the Griffin-Drell House (itself relocated as a result of the Munger construction) at 556 O’Connor Lane.
The name E. linearis Dehnhardt, given in 1832, technically gives way to E. pulchella Desfontaines of 1829.
Related material: Eucalyptus checklist.
About this Entry: The main text of this entry is from the E. linearis entry in the book Trees of Stanford and Environs, by Ronald Bracewell, published 2005. Sairus Patel added the Griffin-Drell tree and noted removal of 2 of the Salvatierra Walk trees (Oct 2018).