Generally speaking, the graceful deodar cedar can be distinguished from the Atlas cedar by its overall appearance or silhouette, its supple apex that bows with the wind or droops, and branches that tend to sweep down to the ground. Its tufts of needles may be twice as long (up to 2 inches).
Six trees are south of Meyer Green, and more can be seen on Serra Mall by the Graduate School of Business. One of a group on the south side of Burnham Pavilion on Serra Street has a marker dating it to 1915; its girth is nearly 14 feet. Deodar cedars line the old road (now a pedestrian path) to the Mausoleum that takes off from Palm Drive, not far from its intersection with Campus Drive. In the arboretum just north of the Mausoleum is an interestingly shaped giant dating to 1889; nearby is a natural dwarf apparently planted at the same time. A pendulous dwarf form is on a lawn south of the Old Union.
Name derivation: Cedrus – Latin name for cedar; deodara – “tree of the gods” in Hindi.
About this Entry: The main text of this entry is from the book Trees of Stanford and Environs, by Ronald Bracewell, published 2005. Meyer Library note updated to Meyer Green (Sep 2017, SP).