Two fine examples of this rare, extremely slow-growing fan palm can be seen just north of the Mausoleum. Its leaves are about 3 feet long, folded as a fan, and with a stalk free of spines. It has great masses of black shiny fruit. Our trees were shipped from Baja California to Stanford around 1900, and grew at the first women’s dormitory. They were transplanted in 1996 to make room for the new Sequoia Hall.
Other examples are at Rains Houses near the community building.
About this Entry: The main text of this entry is from the book Trees of Stanford and Environs, by Ronald Bracewell, published 2005.